Responding To Calls

Revision as of 23:20, 5 June 2022 by Hunter (talk | contribs) (→‎Paging and Texts)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Paging and Texts

During normal conditions we receive notice of a call via pager and ActiveAlert. You will receive your pager when you get the rest of your PPE. At times we may not have enough pagers (or chargers) to give to all new volunteers and you may have to wait. The wait is typically no more than a few weeks.

When Can I Respond?

Before you can respond your application and medical must be completed and accepted by the Chief. Once that is taken care of when you can respond depends on a few factors, primarily your age and current level of training.

Types of Calls

Medical Calls

Anyone can respond to medical calls once their paperwork is completed and accepted by the Chief. You do not have to be an EMT to respond.

Motor Vehicle Accidents (MVA)

You must have proper PPE to respond to an MVA. This is usually your bunker/turnout gear, though in warm weather wildland PPE is acceptable.

Wildland Fires

In order to respond to a brush or wildland fire you must have completed your 'Red Card' training. This is a four day training class held over two weekends each year. It gives you the basic skills and knowledge you need to be safe on a wildland fire.

Structure Fires (in District)

Most members can respond to a structure fire call. What you can do on that call depends on your level of training. You may not go interior on a structure fire unless you have been through an academy or are FF1. You may be put on exterior fire attack if you have sufficient training from our regular drill nights.

Even new members with limited training can be helpful on a structure fire. Assisting with rehab, swapping bottles, and assisting at the command post can all be done without prior structure fire training.

Officers or the senior firefighter at the station make the call who gets to go to a fire. Don't be surprised if you get bumped off the rig if a more experienced firefighter shows up.

Structure Fires (mutual aid)

In order to respond to a structure fire in another district you must be FF1 or have equivalent training and approved by the Chief.